They’re a talented rock group from Orlando just bursting with potential and are on the cusp of releasing a fantastic new track “First To Fall.” The song features scorching guitar riffs, thunderous drums and rock solid bass, but is highlighted by the powerful soulful vocals from Janani. We’ll share the single right here on release day, Friday, February 3rd. In the meantime, let’s meet the band.
JANANI is: J. Vaidyanathan – Vocals, Nathan Hockett – Guitar, Erick Campos – Bass and Anthony Aliseo – Drums.
Who are your influences?
- J – I’m a huge fan of singer/songwriter Poe. I’ve always loved her experimental blend of styles. I also enjoy Red Hot Chili Peppers, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys to name a few. When I was younger, No Doubt, Sublime, KT Tunstall and Nirvana were also big time ones. Lots of artists and songs influence my singing style.
- Nathan – Slash, Mark Tremonti, and John 5 have been huge influences on my playing style.
- Erick – Avenged Sevenfold, Megadeth, Muse, Vivaldi.
- Anthony – My major influences are Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Cheap Trick, Talking heads, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gorillaz, and countless others. Odd ball pick – Bill Hicks.
What do you enjoy more, the creative process of writing new songs or playing live?
- J- I love both for different reasons. Both are hard work, yet exhilarating. I think the anticipation of creating art that will ultimately be interpreted and listened to is amazing. It’s also great to perform the songs you’ve worked hard on, and to relate to people through the music at shows. Both are wonderful.
- Nathan – There’s nothing quite like playing live. I enjoy the creative process but nothing compares to the adrenaline rush of a live show.
- Anthony – As much as I love working on new music and seeing a song evolve through time and practice, nothing beats the fun and excitement of a live show. I’ve played drums in a lot of different places in Orlando and other shows are almost always ruined for me because they just can’t compare to a JANANI show. Its like a drug.’
- Erick – Creative process of writing songs because that is where the art is created.
If you could tour with any artist who would you choose and why?
- J- That’s a tough one. The first ones to come to mind are Red Hot Chili Peppers or No Doubt– just to pay homage to teenage me who would have died over something like that.
- Nathan – Guns N’ Roses, I obsessed over their music growing up.
- Anthony – Either Foo Fighters or Linkin Park. Foo Fighters for the fun and excellent drums and Linkin Park for the 15 year old in me that would have killed somebody for that opportunity.
- Erick – The Pretty Reckless
- Cretin – I’ve seen all of those bands some damn good choices in there.
Favorite live performance you have ever seen?
- Nathan – Candlebox at Jannus Landing in St. Pete. Kevin Martin is a phenomenal live vocalist and to this day he’s still one of my favorite performers. That venue is also super cool, great atmosphere.
- Anthony – I’ve seen Aerosmith, Kiss, Cheap Trick, Linkin Park, Twenty One Pilots, and a lot of other people live. My favorite probably was Cheap Trick.
- Cretin – Great choices again! For me, I think it comes down to CheapTrick or Twenty One Pilots, though.
Which band member has the best playlists?
- J – Probably Nathan. He listens to a ton of stuff. I pretty much like any song he shows me.
- Nathan – Haha well Anthony likes the Foo Fighters and I’m always on board with that.
- Anthony – Probably Nathan, but I think I could give him a run for his money.
Who is the member most likely to get lost and miss a gig?
- J – Probably Erick. He needs a GPS for everything, haha
- Nathan – Me probably
- Anthony – Erick or myself.
Who is the neat freak? Who’s the slob?
- J- I have no idea! I guess I’ll find out on our next tour.
- Nathan – Haha I don’t think any of us are neat freaks.
- Erick – I’m the neat freak. I’m always making lists, scheduling rehearsals and tediously going over every detail in a song.
- Anthony – I think we are all slobs.
- Cretin – Sounds like no one appreciates your neatness, Erick…
You can only listen to one album the rest of your life – which one do you pick?
- J- Haunted by Poe
- Nathan – Blackbird by Alter Bridge
- Erick – Compilation album of all of Beethoven’s Symphonies.
- Anthony – Justin Bieber’s Believe Acoustic
- Cretin – I just love the diversity of these choices
So, there you have it, a quick opportunity to meet the members of Janani in advance of the February 3rd release of their killer new single. Make sure you Like our Facebook and Follow our socials so you don’t miss a thing.
RARA’s Farm is a rock music blog keenly focused on sharing killer rock music news to the rock music fans who visit our site. Make sure you Like / Follow Us below to keep in the loop on new music worth a listen, or just to be nice to us.